Tanya's Journey
On September 14, 2011 Tanya was diagnosed with Metastatic Papillary Thyroid cancer.
I am planning to keep this page updated with the latest news for anyone interested in following her journey from diagnosis through surgery and on to recovery.
Showing posts with label spleen. Show all posts
Showing posts with label spleen. Show all posts
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Spleen Ultrasound Results
We heard back from Dr. Lee (Tanya's surgeon) this afternoon with the results of the spleen ultrasound, and it is good news! The spot that Dr. Lee saw on Tanya's spleen from the chest CT appears to be a cyst, and nothing that needs to be worried about right now. We will have it looked at again in 6 months to see if anything has changed. For now it is one less thing to worry about.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Still Waiting...
We are still waiting to hear back on the results of the Spleen Ultrasound that Tanya had on Thursday. We hope to find out the results early this week, and also get confirmation on the date for surgery. I will post more as soon as I know more.
Monday, October 17, 2011
Spleen Ultrasound
Finally heard back about setting up the spleen ultrasound. It's scheduled for Thursday morning.
Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Ear Nose and Throat (Dr. Hsieh)
Heard back from Dr. Lee's office this afternoon with information on which Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist they want Tanya to see. Looks like it's Dr. Hsieh (pronounced Shay). Dr. Lee has talked with Dr. Hsieh and he knows Tanya's history. Tanya was able to schedule an appointment for Tuesday morning. Sounds like he will do a laryngoscopy and maybe a biopsy as well.
We are still waiting on when and where the spleen ultrasound will take place.
We are still waiting on when and where the spleen ultrasound will take place.
Still waiting
We hope to hear today about which Ear Nose and Throat specialist Tanya will see. We got a call from one yesterday and Tanya set up an appointment, but then heard back from Dr. Lee's office regarding seeing someone else. Hope to have the confusion cleared up today.
We also learned yesterday that Dr. Lee has requested a Ultrasound of Tanya's spleen... Waiting to hear when this will take place as well.
We also learned yesterday that Dr. Lee has requested a Ultrasound of Tanya's spleen... Waiting to hear when this will take place as well.
Sunday, October 9, 2011
The CT and Waiting...
We got the CT scan done last Tuesday (October 2), which Tanya said was much better than the MRI (only 15 minutes compared to the 45 minutes for the MRI and with a lot less noise). We then had to wait until last Friday (October 7) to meet with Dr. Lee again to get the results. That was the longest few days in history.
At our appointment we learned that as far as the radiologist and the doctors could determine, the cancer had NOT moved into the lung. What they saw was a granuloma, probably from an infection in the past. I think Tanya and I both breathed for the first time in a few days at that news.
Dr. Lee then told us that the CT scan showed something on Tanya's spleen... She said that she hadn't researched a lot on that, but that she wasn't aware of thyroid cancer moving to the spleen. She is going to do some more research, and may have Tanya do another CT to see more detail. Hopeful a biopsy will not be required...
Dr. Lee also told us that she was talking with an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist who would handle the neck dissection (Dr. Lee will do the thyroidectomy and assist the other surgeon with the neck). Once she determined who she wants to work with, she will provide us the information so that we can setup an appointment with him. Hopefully this will be the last appointment before setting a date for surgery.
At our appointment we learned that as far as the radiologist and the doctors could determine, the cancer had NOT moved into the lung. What they saw was a granuloma, probably from an infection in the past. I think Tanya and I both breathed for the first time in a few days at that news.
Dr. Lee then told us that the CT scan showed something on Tanya's spleen... She said that she hadn't researched a lot on that, but that she wasn't aware of thyroid cancer moving to the spleen. She is going to do some more research, and may have Tanya do another CT to see more detail. Hopeful a biopsy will not be required...
Dr. Lee also told us that she was talking with an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist who would handle the neck dissection (Dr. Lee will do the thyroidectomy and assist the other surgeon with the neck). Once she determined who she wants to work with, she will provide us the information so that we can setup an appointment with him. Hopefully this will be the last appointment before setting a date for surgery.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)